Name: Arlee Bird--it's a phony writer name. If you want to know my real name it's not too difficult to find, but I'm not gonna say here.
Blog: Tossing It Out is my main blog where it all started.
I can also be found at Wrote By Rote (memoir), A Faraway View (a blog about dreams), and A Few Words (a contemplative blog inspired by Psalms).
Other Online Info: I do have a page on Facebook and I'd be happy if you signed up to "like" it.
10 GETTING TO KNOW YOU QUESTIONS
1. What is the most daring thing you've ever done? I once gave up everything to walk from Tennessee to California. Well, actually I didn't make it very far on that trip, but 17 years later I did end up in California after an adventurous life.
2. What is your favorite article of clothing? Hmm---Depends on the time and place, but I do like Hawaiian shirts.
3. What is your favorite monster? Godzilla was the first monster movie I ever saw. I saw the film in the theater when it first came out in the mid-1950s. I was a very young kid then but I was fascinated. Godzilla was my first monster love and has remained my favorite.
4. If you had to dress up as your favorite literary character, who would it be? Well, heck if I know! I actually usually don't think about the way characters are dressed. And I can't think of anything for this--Huckleberry Finn maybe?
5. What is your favorite fairy tale, urban legend or nursery rhyme? This certainly covers a lot of ground. I guess I'll go with first loves again. Here is the first rhyme I ever memorized and I can still recite it:
Deedle, deedle dumpling, my son John
Went to bed with his stockings on.
One shoe off. One shoe on.
Deedle, deedle dumpling, my son John.
6. What is a cause near and dear to your heart? The greater appreciation of juggling and classical music.
7. What's the strangest item you've used as a bookmark? Candy wrappers? I used to use them as bookmarks all the time when I was in college.
8. Do you have any nicknames? What are they and how did you earn them? A few guys in high school used to call me "Juggler". I have no idea why--well, I guess I do know. The name didn't really come into common use though.
9. Name one habit you want to change in yourself: I have a terrible nail-biting habit that I've had since I was a small child. My parents tried to stop it by putting some sort of hot sauce on my fingers. I guess that's how I developed my love for hot sauce and spicy foods.
10. Tell us something interesting or shocking about yourself: I've revealed so much about myself on my blog that it's difficult to think of something I haven't said. But let me toss this one out: I love musicals--especially Rodgers & Hammerstein and old Busby Berkeley extravaganzas. I know, shocking!
SOME A-to-Z QUESTIONS
1. What was your favorite A-to-Z post from 2011? Not fair! That's like asking which of my kids is my favorite. But okay, I'll play this one. I'll go with my X post II x X=XX. It's a tough letter and I felt like I came up with something fairly unique.
2. What brought you to the A-to-Z originally? Tell us about your first A-to-Z: Short story: 200 followers and I had an amazing time. You can find the longer story here.
3. Are you doing a theme? I'm doing at least 3 themes and I'll be saying more about that later on those 3 blogs. Not sure what I'll be doing on Tossing It Out yet. I will be doing some blog juggling for sure.
4. Are you writing & scheduling posts in advance? My 3 themed blogs are mostly done. I will hopefully have Tossing It Out written and scheduled before the Challenge begins.
5. What is your favorite letter of the alphabet, and why? What letter do you like least? Favorite letter is probably "A" since it represents excellence. "F" represents failure, but I can't totally knock the letter since it also represents fun and fantastic. Actually I guess I like all the letters.
I hope you've enjoyed these questions and answers. Don't forget, you are welcome, even encouraged, to ask any additional questions you might have in the comments section. Or feel free to answer the questions yourself! We won't tell.
Musicals are shocking hehe! Sounds like you've had a very interesting life. Will have to check out some of your older posts and become a stalker for a bit.
This is a great idea by the way, can't wait to find out more about the other hosts :)
Well deedle dee, glad to meet thee, Lee.
It's funny what we don't know about each other when we think we do.
It is always interesting to learn more about fellow bloggers.
I also appreciate the fine art of juggling. Although I am not very good yet.
Fitting we should know more about the man who started it all!
The Juggler. Maybe we could get that to stick out here is blogger land. Candy wrappers are an awesome idea...great place to hide them too. ha! Looking forward to your themes and fun to get to know you better! Working on my video today...
Love your answer to #9, how you developed a love of spicey foods. Thanks for starting A-Z. It's a fun challenge!
Classical music is where it's at! So soothing, so peaceful.
You sure got me with your "writer" name....I thought that you used your whole name on your blog. It's a good one though.
Musicals tend to annoy me, especially when I went to see RENT...I felt like the actors breaking out into song mid-scene gets distracting for me. I mean, am I at a concert or a live theater show? lol
Still, RENT is among my favorite shows, go figure!
So, I guess it depends on the musical and how it's done.
The "Getting to Know Me" series you A to Z guys and gals are doing is a great idea!
I think I may just try this myself. Now, it's a matter of deciding if it should be used for the letter "G" in April or posted in advance as a primer for new readers of my blog. Decisions, decisions!
The Madlab Post
I like this getting to know you series. And, anyone wearing a Hawaiian shirt has to be unique:)
Classical music is the best! I love Rodgers & Hammerstein too... as well as Andrew Lloyd-Webber's musicals.
I've GOT to check out the longer story behind the A-Z...
You're handling 4 blogs? Phew... that's no easy task... quite the juggler...
It's great to meet the brain behind the A-Z Challenge!
Countdown continues... 42 days left!
Anna -- If you visit any old blog posts be sure to leave a comment to let me know what you think.
Teresa -- I'm sure we all still have plenty of surprises to reveal.
Jeremy -- Like my father always said: practice, practice, practice. I should have listened better.
Alex -- Your opportunity will be coming to tell about yourself.
Tracy Jo -- I am really looking forward to seeing your video.
Mary -- Having bloggers like yourself is what makes the Challenge more fun.
Nicole-- Before I came to appreciate them, when I was a teen I thought the concept of musicals was kind of dumb. Cabaret got me back into them when I was in college. Overall I prefer the older musicals to the more modern ones.
Marta -- Hawaiian shirts are so comfortable and leisurely.
Mish -- I especially like Evita after the film version came out. Carousel is another big favorite of mine.
What a fun interview! Thanks for sharing, Arlee.
X is really a challenging letter. Juggling is an art and I love musicals too.
Interesting stuff - the Hawaiian shirts remind me of Bruce Campbell's character in Burn Notice :) Love the a-z challenge, even though I've only done it once. I'm really looking forward to this years - especially since I have a theme. What an AWESOME idea.
Older stuff often tends to be better than modern works all around the spectrum, kinda like music and motor vehicles....I can see how that would apply to musicals as well.
I forgot to ask earlier....how did you come up with these particular questions? Were they inquiries that readers have asked over the years, did you assemble them yourself or did the A to Z team pitch in with their own ideas and then you all voted on which ones to feature? Just curious :)
The Madlab Post
Fun to learn more about you~ I enjoyed your answers and as I thought you are Amazing and Zany, ;D
I couldn't resist~
wow, you do bare all. So tell me, how did you get into publishing other people's books?
Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors
I am very nervous about this whole thing, so much structure is required and blogging (for me painting) EVERY day..
oh wait!! i have another important question. is either the older gentleman with the hat and sunglasses or the young guy with hair actually you??
Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors
So how far DID you make it walking? I'm curious!
We had a juggler living in an apartment below us when I was a kid. I remember him out practicing, sometimes alone and sometimes with a partner. I wish I knew where he performed back then; wonder if my parents would know. He was nice and would let me sit while he put on a neat show for me. Good memories. :)
Patricia -- Glad you had fun watching me squirm on the hot seat.
Susan -- I'm glad we're in agreement about these things.
MsHatch -- Not familiar with Burn Notice--hope it's a good thing.
Nicole -- We have Team member Shannon to thank for the idea and the questions. Other Team members may decide to use their own questions, but I went with Shannon's suggestions.
Ella -- I don't know how amazing, but I can get kind of zany sometimes.
Mimi -- Both pictures are of me at different stages in life. Not sure about the publishing other people's books question. That's not me, but I wish it were. Perhaps you were confusing this with someone else's guest post?
Shannon -- I was gone for a week, but never got much more than 20 or 30 miles from home. Instead of continuing on to California I ended up just hiking in the mountains. The juggler could have very well been someone I knew. Especially several years back jugglers were a pretty close knit group.
Now I realised I don't even know your name :(
I do enjoy getting to know you more Arlee. Arlee, I have not signed up, because I want to keep it a challenge. I need the A-Z to remain as a prompt for me.
My husband juggles.
oceangirl-- I've put my real name on my blog a few times and it's on my Facebook. I really do go by the name "Lee".
L.Diane -- Juggling is good for hand and eye coordination. Maybe that's why he is so good at visual arts.
Love it when I learn something new about my friends. Juggling, eh? I can't even catch one ball very well. This I blame on my fused wrist...
Tina @ Life is Good
Co-Host of the April 2012 Blogging from A to Z Challenge
ah musicals... guilty pleasure!
you are stylin' boss man...
Hey Lee - as I said in my post to Elizabeth...I'm coming late to your parties!! But I am in a festive mood and love what you're offering up as answers.
You are very inspiring and funny! I like humour in a person (keeps us young, doesn't it)
Great post, Juggler! (I think that suits you!)
Jenny @ Pearson Report
Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.
Post a Comment