- When did you start blogging and why? Tell us a bit about the kind of blog you have. Be sure to include the name of your blog and the link.I opened my blog, Tahoma Beadworks and Photography on July 6, 2006 and originally it was intended to be a fan site for actor Vincent D'Onofrio. A bunch of us VDO fans started blogs around the same time. I soon realized that my friends were providing way better pics and info about him so I transitioned mine into one about my life and featuring my photography and crafts. This was before Facebook, so it was a way for friends/family to keep in touch and keep up with what I was up to without my having to write emails or *gasp* handwritten letters. My muse left me in 2009 and I took a substantial break that year, but returned to regular posts in 2010. It's a fun and creative outlet and I enjoy preparing the posts. Please come visit!!
- How did you find out about the challenges, and how many have you done? What was your favorite part of participating?My friend Bev at Blue Velvet Vincent invited me to participate so I signed up. My fave part was finding and following new blogs and meeting great new friends.
- What suggestions would you have for visiting new blogs during the A to Z challenge? What blog visiting strategy has worked for you during the challenge?I basically just clicked on random blogs from the Linky List. It was frustrating as some weren't participating, had removed their blogs or were blogging on topics that didn't float my boat. That was the most time consuming part. It'd be great if there was a topic list into which we could place our blog links, so as to find and reach people with similar interests.
- What topics or themes would you like to see other bloggers cover during the challenge? What types of content (poetry, short stories, writing tips, photos, reviews, etc.) would you enjoy reading during the A to Z Challenge?I can only speak for my own interests of photography, crafts, Canada and life-type diaries. I am not a full time writer so the writing and poetry blogs didn't really do it for me. Nor did the ones about babies and raising children or religion.
- Please tell us something unusual about yourself – don't be shy.Unusual....hmm.....that's a hard one. There was a time, from 1987-1995, when my life literally revolved around the Grateful Dead. Going to shows, trading the live tapes, hanging out with other Deadheads and talking about the shows, waiting for the mailorder tickets to be available for the next show, recruiting non-Deadhead friends to help me try and get the coveted New Years Eve tickets (I paid for the money order but had them fill out the information because it was one mailorder per person). I met my ex-husband at a show and we followed them for our honeymoon in 1989, then moved to San Francisco to be closer to the 'scene'. Got to meet Bob Weir & Jerry Garcia in 1990. It all came to a screeching halt when Jerry died in 1995 (only a couple miles from my house, too, I might add...I heard the ambulance go by that morning). I still love them, listen to them and wear the t-shirts, but I won't go see the remaining members...not without Jerry. I also found that once Jerry died, I had almost nothing in common with a lot of the people we'd been hanging with regularly for years. I hadn't realized that all we did was talk about the Dead and once that was over for me, there was nothing to talk about! Still, it was a wonderful time in my life and I'm glad I had the chance to experience it.6. Are you joining the challenge in 2013? Are you doing a theme? Please share any plans you have. We promise not to steal your ideas.I am hoping to do the 2013 challenge, as long as I am still unemployed. If I do end up finding a job and work full time, it will be virtually impossible to keep up with a daily challenge. No themes....i think that's way too hard, although I thought about doing an A-Z of music I like, but I like to keep it theme-free which is easier for me.
Thanks for joining us, JoJo! It was great to have you.Tina
Where's the sign-up List?
For the 2017 Challenge we're trying something new--no Linky List! So if you're looking for a list--stop now. It's really not so bad. Now you'll have many options for discovering participant blogs--blogs that are actually participating in the Challenge. For more info click on the link at the top of the sidebar on the right hand side of your page.
Sunday, October 21, 2012
Getting to Know: JoJo of Tahoma Beadsworks and Photography
Please welcome our second installment in the “Getting to Know Your Fellow A-Z Participants” that I posted about during my invitation for guest posters. Over the next few months leading up to the 2013 challenge, we will have lots more of these posts. If you're interested in participating, just email me (Tina) at tndowney (at) gmail (dot) com. Be sure to include “guest post” in your subject. I get a LOT of emails...